By Priya Narayan
With the arrival of summers, we decided to share with our readers on how we can beat it blue and cool! Instead of running away from the sultry heat, how about we prepare our bodies to deal with it. We thought, why not offer you with some healthy alternatives to juices and colas that are loaded with sugars and artificial flavours.
This is a summer season delicacy of Kerala which is nothing but spiced buttermilk. However, in my house, we add more flavour to it in the following way. In Kerala, people prefer pungent curd for a tangy flavour, but you can revamp the recipe based on your taste preferences.
Buttermilk is usually prepared fresh every day and is known for their cooling properties and help aid digestion. Being created from yoghurt, buttermilk is excellent in combating dehydration.
This recipe has been revised by Harish. Harish is a professional in In-flight Technologies and resides in Mumbai. He is extremely passionate about cooking and loves to experiment in the kitchen. You’ll often find him creating a unique fusion of traditional and modern recipes.
Sambharam – Traditional Buttermilk. Photo courtesy: Priya Narayan
- Cucumber – ½ piece
- Coriander leaves – 2 teaspoons
- Ginger (minced) – 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves – 1 teaspoon
- Lemon-tree leaves – 1 teaspoon (If available)
- Shallot (minced) – 1 teaspoon.
- Curd – ½ cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Salt – ½ teaspoon
- Asafetida – 2 pinches
- Lemon juice – ½ teaspoon
- Grind the ingredients 1 to 6 in a blender into a fine paste. You can add a little water while grinding.
- In a bowl add curd and blend it well till the there are no lumps in it, and it is of smooth consistency.
- Gradually add the paste which you have made, water, salt, asafetida & lemon juice and blend once again until all ingredients are mixed well.
- Refrigerate it at least for an hour and serve chilled.
Publish your recipes on The Lifestyle Portal:
Have an exciting recipe to share? Send us your original recipes with high-quality pics to [email protected] to get your recipe published! Don’t forget to send us your profile pic and a short bio to go with it.