Aveeno Baby – The best of Colloidal Oatmeal
A mother’s primary concern is the welfare of her child. Whether it is the food, the clothing, travel, schooling, even the bath and body care range – a mother scrutinises every detail before it reaches her child.
Ever since I became a mother I have been consciously choosing the products for my daughter which I feel will be relatively safer for her. Within hours of being born, she had atopic dermatitis and I was advised by the paediatrician to use prescription ointments and lotions on the tender skin until the skin’s balance was restored.
As she grew up, thankfully the dermatitis was under control, yet I was careful enough to pick only those products, which were safer for my child’s tender skin.
When buying for baby care range there are certain elements that I try to look out for – that they should primarily be as chemical free as possible or that even if they’re used, they are within permissible range and which do not get directly absorbed by the skin. Other factors that I look out for is that the products should be free of sulphates, parabens, other harmful chemicals that are now banned and yes, very important not tested on animals.
I recently attended the Aveeno Baby Care exclusive launch in Mumbai at the Four Season’s Hotel where paediatricians, dermatologists, scientists, including parents shared valuable insights on skin care for an infant or child.
After having tried out a few leading brands in the baby care range, I’m happy to share my thoughts on Aveeno, a premier baby care range. One of the core ingredients used in Aveeno is Colloidal Oatmeal known for its soothing and healing properties on dry, sensitive, itchy and eczema prone skin.
Studies have shown that ancient Egyptians believed in the goodness of bathing in oat milk dating back up to 2000 B.C. Oats (Avena sativa) is known for its soothing and healing properties to treat skin disorders ranging from psoriasis, rashes and even eczema.
Hence one of the primary ingredients used by Aveeno Baby is Active Naturals Colloidal Oatmeal – which is a powder resulting from the grinding and processing of whole oat grains. It is the most preferred natural ingredient among most dermatologist and is one of the few natural ingredients to be recognised as a skin protectant (based on a study by US FDA).
With the goodness of Colloidal Oatmeal
The properties of Colloidal Oatmeal include:
- Proteins – that is one of the key components of healthy looking skin
- Vitamins – oatmeal is rich in Vitamins right from A, E, B1, B3 and B6
- Lipids – important for keeping the skin moisturised and to prevent dryness
- Enzymes – important for exfoliation of dry skin
- Antioxidants – helps protect the skin from environmental damage
How does Active Naturals Colloidal Oatmeal work?
- Moisturises – Proteins and polysaccharides are highly water attracting, holding moisture within the skin.
- Cleanses – Colloidal Oatmeal granules act as micro-sponges absorbing dirt and dead skin cells
- Soothes – Colloidal Oatmeal helps in calming the redness and itchiness caused by inflammation on the skin
- Restores pH – Helps in restore the pH in the normal skin conditions where pH has increased
- Protects – Colloidal Oatmeal and other emollients form a fine protective barrier to prevent water loss.
A mother’s take on Aveeno Baby Products:
Aveeno Baby Soothing Relief Creamy Wash (236 ml, INR 799)
This is a soothing relief body wash infused with natural Colloidal Oatmeal that soothes dry and sensitive skin while it gently cleanses the body. The rich creamy texture of the body wash is easily spreadable on the body and leaves the skin soft and supple throughout. Thumbs up for it being a tear-free, Paraben free and Phthalate-free.
Aveeno Baby Daily Moisture Lotion (227 gms, INR 799)
Just like the creamy body wash, Aveeno body lotion works wonders on a child’s tender skin. I have used it on my child’s hands and legs after a bath and before bedtime. The thick moisturising lotion is a Dimethicone Skin Protectant with the goodness of Natural Colloidal Oatmeal. Dimethicone is a silicon-based polymer used as a lubricant and conditioning agent. It is also used as a moisturiser to treat dry, rough, scaly, itchy skin and minor skin irritations as well. Extra brownie points for being a soothing lotion for delicate skin that moisturises for up to 24 hours!
Aveeno Baby is imported and marketed by Johnson & Johnson Pvt. Ltd. and is available online on BabyChakra.com. Use the Amazon Discount code BABYCHAKRA to claim exclusive discounts.
Deepali Agarwal, Marketing Manager, Johnson’s Baby explaining about Active Natural Oats
FAQs from Aveeno Baby
What makes Baby’s Skin so unique?
Skin growth in infants is higher than in adults and is characterised by a higher ability to restore itself better. This adaptive flexibility of skin maturation results in unique properties of an infant skin. What makes an infant’s skin different from an adult’s skin is that:
- It is three times thinner than adult skin
- The skin absorption power is higher
- Lack of immunity for the first three years of the life, the infant is only armed with its maternal immunity
What makes Aveeno Baby Products unique?
They’re made from natural ingredients sourced from nature and formulated scientifically to deliver real skin benefits. Aveeno uses a three-step approach that ensures that the natural ingredients used are safe and effective. It consists of oat grains with high protein content for colloidal oatmeal production. These selected oat grains are then carefully processed to maintain and extract their natural goodness. The colloidal oat and extracts are then used in Aveeno skincare products.
How does a baby’s skin barrier development work?
- A baby’s skin is very different and still developing for the first year of her life. A baby’s skin looses and gains water more rapidly than adult skin.
- The baby’s pH level is higher at birth than adult skin and then acidifies within the first few weeks.
- A baby’s skin is more reactive
- Studies have shown the importance of emollients (such as oils, creams and lotions) in the child’s daily skincare regimen to maintain a healthy skin barrier up to 1 year of age.
- An infant’s skin barrier has not matured and is less protective against environmental challenges than in an older child or an adult.
- Infants are more prone to diseases caused by a defective skin barrier.
Aveeno Babycare range, now in India
Rashes & Atopic Dermatitis
- The importance of neonatal skin care is exemplified by survey results suggesting that nearly 80% of newborns develop a skin problem such as rashes within the first month of their lives.
- Atopic dermatitis is rising globally and is more common amongst children and often starts soon after birth.
Dry Skin is the first sign
- Water is lost through the body evaporation and other factors such as:
- Exposure to detergents
- Friction from clothing
- Dust and environmental pollution
- Other chemicals
- Prolonged exposure to air conditioning
- If the skin loses water too quickly, the stratum corneum (the outermost layer of the skin) dries out and the fine lines even cracks can appear on the skin.
What happens when irritants cause barrier damage on a child’s skin?
- Dry and lustreless skin
- Ashy and flaking skin
- Mild, moderate to severe itching in some cases
Here’s how it happens when a harsh soap is used on a baby’s tender skin:
- Washing with soap
- Barrier disruption
- Increased water loss
- Fall in water content of stratum corneum
- Lipid structure damage
Look out for the ‘Genuine Good’ seal when buying Aveeno products
Key to barrier maintenance
How to choose a product for your infant?
- The relative moisturising effects of different formulations are – ointments, creams and lotions.
- Fragrance-free products are ideal.
- Products should contain the least possible number of preservatives and yet be effective in the prevention of contamination.
- Preservatives can be natural or synthetic as long as their safety profile is documented.
- Soothing and itch relieving
Collaborate with us:
Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like to get featured or collaborate with us at The Lifestyle Portal.
Making bath times fun with Aveeno Baby Care Range